• WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS LONGTRAIL
    Särna - Sweden 07.- 10.03.2017
  • European Championships SNOW
    Inzell - Germany 02.- 05.02.2017
  • European Dryland Championships
    Lauf - Germany 11.- 13.11.2016
  • 20th Anniversary World Sleddog Association
    1995 - 2015
  • World Championships Sprint/MD
    Scharnitz - Austria 2015
  • World Championships Sprint/MD
    Kandersteg - Switzerland 2014

2011 - 2016

WSA GENERAL ASSEMBLY

Guest house „Zum Grund“ / Reisenbach / Germany

on 30th of July 2016

10.35 am: Opening of the General Assembly

 

Topic 1
Welcome of members and guests from the WSA Chairman and report of previous year. Reports of other board members.

In fact of the offical voting this years the general assembely started with distribution of Agenda including voting cards.
Afterwards the Chairman Arno Steichler welcomes delegates and guests
He briefly summarizes the activities of the other Board members and summarizes the the previous year .Last but not least he specalliy thanks to Irene Valenkamp that she work many many hours with translation for WSA and to our Director Public Realations for his great work.

Topic 2

Acceptance of invitation and agenda as per WSA statutes

The agenda was accepted with 34 yes votes/ 0 no votes/ 6 blank votes.

.Topic 3

  • Count of delegates and votes (see separate list of delegates and votes – Annex 1)
  • Attendance list

Following the examination of the list of attendees by Cindy van den Brink and Manuela Petutschnig-Gruber and the update of the data, the following number of votes was established:

Board: 11 votes

Delegates: 29 votes

Club Country Name of delegate Number of votes
WSA Germany/ Germany Christoph Diehl (Karsten Hesse) 2
WSA Germany Michael Landau 1
WSA Germany Arno Steichler 1
WSA Netherlands Cindy Van den Brink 1
WSA Austria Manuela Petutschnig Gruber 1
WSA Poland Jacek Włodarczyk 1
WSA France Laurent Berge 1
WSA Austria/Sweden Christian Helm (Teunis Bos) 2
WSA Scottland John Carter 1
    IN TOTAL 11
VDSV Germany Ulrich Kuhn
Leo Leonhardt
Michael Landau
2
1
1
PASS Poland Mikołaj Włodarczyk
Waldemar Stawowczyk
1
1
Concord Russia Elena Shepeleva
Elena Shepeleva jr
1
1
DSO Netherlands Cindy Van den Brink 1
FFST France Patrik Roszyk 2
MBEL Belgium Rudiger de Pauw
Freddy Guillaume
1
1
MCS Switzerland Guido Weilenmann 2
SSV Switzerland Robert Schiesser 2
PASS Poland Jacek Włodarczyk
Mikołaj Włodarczyk
1
1
RSSC Austria Arnold Petutschnig 2
BMC Czech Rep. Stepan Krkoska 1
AMWA England Irene Valenkamp 1
SDAS Scotland Mary Carter
James Smith
1
1
SPHK Sweden Karina Andreasen 2
NSHK Norway Kenneth Monsen 2
    IN TOTAL 29

 

A total number of 40 votes was established


Topic 4
Report of the Treasurer and the Financial Auditors - discharge of the Board

Cindy van den Brink reported on the accounts of the past year. The year ended with a loss of because oft he fact that our championship was chanceld. The Financial Auditors Irene Valenkamp/ UK and Elena Shepeleva/ Russia are both present at the meeting and report that the accounts and the cashbook are in good order. Furthermore, they comment on the exemplary bookkeeping and request to discharge the Board – the Board is being discharged with
39 votes in favour and 1 abstention.

Topic 5

  • 5.1. Finland – single membership applications of Erkki and Susanna Bürkland and Janne Härkönen (Annex 3.1 & 3.2). Until a national association joins the WSA Erkki, Susanna and Janne will act as Team Finland.

The president explain the situation in Finnland - that until now WSA have no club from Finnland which want to sign in - so he ask the assembely to give the 3 Mushers from finnland the possibiltity for a singlemembership to start on championships - until a club from finnland wants to sign in WSA.

The application is accepted with 36 yes / 0 no / 4 blanks

  • 5.2. Lithuania – membership application (Annex 3.3)

Arno Steichler reports that all papers of Lithuana are correcht and asked the assembly to vote on the application of Lithuana.. The application is accepted unanimously. Manuela Petutschnig-Gruber will inform the club via email about the positive outcome and welcome them into the WSA. In CC Teasurer / Chairman and Webmaster.

Accepted by a large majority

Topic 6
Election of a new Board for the duration of 3 years in a secret ballot (Annex 2)

Arno Steichler thanks all board for the last years - he reports that all current board members are available for reelection and if there are any other suggestion for board Election from 2016-2019. No other persons were proposed. The president ask the assembly to vote for 2 election officals to lead the voting and count votes. As election officals were proposed Ulrich Kuhn and Robert Schiesser - and finaly voted with
33 yes / 5 no / 2 blank.

The Board was voted by secret ballon as follows:

President: Arno Steichler, Germany

33 yes / 5 no / 2 blank

Vice-President: Laurent Berge, France

33 yes / 4 no / 0 blank / 3 not valid

Director-Sport: Jacek Wlodarczyk, Poland

32 yes / 7 no / 1 blank

Treasure: Cindy van de Brink, Netherlands

38 yes / 2 no / 0 blank

Secretary: Manuela Petutschnig-Gruber, Austria

40 yes / 0 no / 0 blank

The assembly voted with a majority to destroy the voting cards after election.

Topic 7
Election of the extended Board for the duration of 3 years (if necessary in a secret ballot) (Annex 2)

Arno Steichler reports that all current extended board members are available for reelection and if there are any other suggestion for etended board Election from 2016-2019.

No other Persons were suggested

So the assembely voted the extended Board as follows.

Director Sprint: Christoph Diehl, Germany

39 yes / 0 no / 1 blank

Director-Distance: Michael Landau, Germany

39 yes / 0 no / 1 blank

Director-Pulka: Teunis Bos, Sweden

36 yes / 0 no / 4 blank

Veternarian: Karsten Hesse, Germany

34 yes / o no / 6 blank

Director-Public Realations: Chris Helm, Austria

34 yes / 5 no / 1 blank

Director-Dryland: John Carter, Great Britain

34 yes / 5 no / 1 blank

Topic 8
Election of a new Race Judge Committee for the duration of 3 years (if necessary in a secret ballot) (Annex 2)

From the General Assembely following persons were voted by secret ballot as Race Judge Commitee.

Rudiger de Pauw with 31 votes

Roderik Glastra with 29 votes

Jacek Wlodarczyk as Sport Director is automaticly a member of the Race Judge Committee. (Dir. Sport/ part of our statutes)

Topic 9 Dryland
Dryland rules presented by John Carter

After presantation of our new dryland rules and disscussion of critical points , the president ask the general assembely to vote about the following points before the voting of acception the whole rules.

Accepted by a large majority

  • 9.1. – Juniors – same rules apply as in winter, no 4-dog class in Dryland

The assembely voted for same rules like in winter – so only 2 dog class for juniors until new suggestions.

39 yes/ 1 no / 0 blank

  • 9.2. – 3-wheeled rigs in 6-dog class - yes/no

The assembly decided no 3 wheeled rigs in 6-dog class.

7 yes/ 28 no / 5 blank

  • 9.3. – Claw break yes/no

The assembly decided that there should be a advice for claw break but no obligation for claw breaks

2 yes / 36 no / 2 blank

  • 9.4. – Minimum age dogs 15 rather than 12 months

The assembely decedid unanimously same rule like in winter – 15 months in same month like championship.

40 yes / 0 no / 0 blank

Topic 10 – National Quotas

The suggestion of National Quotas in this form was rejected by the assembely so the current Annex is valid until a new sugesstion will be found.

15 yes / 20 no / 5 blank

The president asked the board to work on new suggestion for National Quotas

Topic 11 – World Cup

The proposal from Christoph Diehl - Worldcup was adopted by the majority

30 yes / 10 no / 0 blank

Topic 12 – Proposals WSA BOARD MEMBERS

Proposal 1: Change Annex II by Christof Diehl

Sticked to Topic 11 World Cup - the assembly adopted the Proposal 1 with a majority.

36 yes / 2 no / 2 blank

Proposal 2: Change of veterinary costs by Karsten Hesse and Christian Helm

Poposal 2 was adopted by the majority oft he assembly.

36 yea / 0 no / 4 blank

Proposal 3: Change of number of delegates by Manuela Petutschnig-Gruber

Proposal 3 was rejected by the assembely

10 yes / 22 no / 8 blank

Topic 13 – Applications to host WSA Championships

Out of the Assembly there was setted an urgent application – to vote before point 13 about Norway Championship - which was voted as host for 2017 last year - but now they have the problem to fulfill the contract. So the majority want first to vote about if Championship will be held for more expenses in Norway or cancel Norway and find a other host for 2017 (Haidmühle already offered their help). The urgent application to vote for cancellation of Norway was accepted from the assembly.

The majority of the assembly voted for cancellation Norway

35yes / 1 no / 4 blank

  • 13.1.Application to host the 2017 Long Distance World Championship by SPHK in Särna (Sweden)

Sweden presented a nice overview about their race and what they did in the past and what they plan in the futere.

The assembely welcomed the application of Sweden SPHK and confirmed. with

38 yes / 2 no / 0 blank

  • 13.2. – Application to host the 2017 Dryland World Championships

Scotland and Belgium was asked by the president to think about hosting the future drylands. Both are willed to think about it.

  • 13.3. – Applications to host the 2018 World Championships by Sweden and Germany

Ulrich Kuhn as the president of VDSV reports that it is not willed from VDSV that the Championship will be held in Todtmoss under their umbrella

Sweden SPHK as our Member clearify the swedish Situation - but told that he allows the other club to organize the championship under their Umbrella

As VDSV is our Member from Germany the assembely accept their decision and vote for Sweden yes or no - with the result of a majoity for Sweden

35 yes / 0 no / 5 blank

Topic 14 – IFSS

WSA letter to the IFSS and report by John Carter on IFSS GA

The current situation and the impressions from John Carter oft he IFSS meeting was reported by John.

There was nothing to vote just to be informed.

Topic 15 – Nation ranking

Test of Olympic model for nation ranking – results from the WSA Working Group

The assembly accepted with a majority to test the olympic model.

38 yes / 2 no / 0 blank

Topic 16 – Proposals from members

  • 16.1. Proposals from ASIA, Italy I:
  • Proposal 1: Eurocup
    If less than 20% of competitors at a Eurocup race come from abroad, the Eurocup fee will be reduced to 50€. (i.e. >20% foreign competitors = 150€ fee; <20% foreign competitors = 50€ fee)

    Rationale: The Eurocup was created to encourage mushers to participate in races abroad and to increase attendance levels at races. However, if a race is attended by less than 20% of foreign mushers, the Eurocup loses value.
    Furthermore, we propose that the Board finds new ways to encourage more mushers to participate in the Eurocup.

Invalid because at topic 11 the Eurocup was replaced by Worldcup.

  • Proposal 2: Transportation
    We propose to amend the WSA transport guidelines as follows:
    1. If a musher is resident in a member state of the European Union, the musher has to adhere to the laws on animal transportation of his country of residence. This rule is only valid if the country of residence’s law is in compliance with the EU rules (Council Regulation (EC) No1/2005).
    2. If a musher is resident outside the European Union, he has to adhere to the WSA transport guidelines for the transportation of his dogs.

Rationale: Within the European Union all member states have implemented a clear set of national laws governing the transportation of animals. We propose this amendment to the rules to avoid mushers having to implement changes to their dog boxes that might be contradicting their national laws.

Proposal 2 was rejected by the assembly with a clear majority

  • Proposal 3: Veterinary Working Group

We propose the establishment of a Veterinary Working Group. Every member club is entitled to put their veterinarian forward as a member of this Working Group. The objective of the Group is to create guidelines and a historical veterinary memory for championships. Two members of this Group have to be present at every championship to coordinate the local veterinary team.

Proposal 3 was accepted by the assembly with a absolut majority

 

  • 2. Proposals DSO, Netherlands:
  1. If a country has more than one WSA member club the combined number of members should be used to determine the number of starters that the country can send to a European or World Championship. The allocated number of starters for such a country should then be divided between its member clubs in accordance with the number of members of each club.

Proposal 1 was accepted by the assembly with a clear majority

  1. To allow mushers to plan their racing season, the organizers of a European or World Championship have to provide at the signing of the contract a date and an alternative date/place for the Championship. Should it not be possible for the Championship to take place on either date there will be no WSA Championship during that season. Nobody will be allowed to organize an alternative event that carries the name WSA (European or World) Championship during such a season.

Proposal 2 was withdrawn by DSO because of the fact that the president reports that the proposal is already a point of the championship contract

  1. The DSO would like to propose to make it mandatory for all members of WSA member clubs to register themselves using the WSA Race Data site irrespective of whether they are planning on participating in a Championship. Members registering themselves will have to be confirmed as members by the board of the member club. This will give the WSA a better handle on the number of members a club has and membership numbers will be up to date at all times.

Proposal 3 was as well withdrawn by DSO because of the fact that a working group was formed to find a good solution for National Qutas as well as votes as well as fees and will be presented as sooon as possible.

  • 3. Proposals NSHK, Norway:
  • Proposal 1:

Host countries of WSA races should get information and have access to previous contract and terms agreed between the WSA board and previous hosts.

Rationale: Being a professional organisation, there should be no secrets or doubts about a host country’s conditions, and they should be equal for all member countries. We should ensure that all member countries have the same conditions and obligations when hosting, and even considering hosting, a WSA race.

After explanation of secretary and president that Norway already was be informed before about all terms and that they have e-mails which prove this - the proposal was withdrawn by NSHK.

  • Proposal 2:

The number of delegates for international races should be in comparison to the number of paying members each country is registered with in WSA

Rationale: The number of race delegates is regulated in our statues, and the same principle should be followed if a race has a reduced capacity. We suggest that our statues are adjusted, so the number of delegates is following the same percentage of delegates as paying members of each country. As an alternative, if the purpose is to reduce the number of delegates from one of the countries with a high number of members, the same principles should be followed for all countries in the same category, to ensure a democratic distribution.

Proposal 2 was as well withdrawn by NSHK because of the fact that a board working group was formed to find a good solution for National Qutas as well as votes as well as fees and will be presented as soon as possible.

  • 4. Proposals VDSV, Germany:
  • Proposal 1:

Proposal to increase the entry fees for international WSA championships (WC/EC) to €150.

Rationale: The current amount of €90 is out-dated. €90 don’t provide hosts with enough money to cover the costs of organising an international championship. We cannot expect hosts to subsidise a championship with funds of their own.

Withdrawn per mail from 25th of July 2016 from VDSV

  • Proposal 2:

The WSA Board is currently made up of 11 members. In order for it to be more agile, we propose to eliminate the position of Director Pulka/Skijöring.

Rationale: The role of Director Pulka/ Skijöring is no longer needed as only a minority of mushers’ race in these classes. The interest of these mushers can be better protected and co-ordinated by the Director Sport or the Director Sprint.

Withdrawn per mail from 25th of July 2016 from VDSV

  • Proposal 3:

The WSA Board is currently made up of 11 members. In order for it to be more agile, we propose to eliminate the position of Veterinary/ Anti-Doping.

Rationale: Having the position of Veterinary on the Board can lead to conflicts of interests as the veterinary cannot wear two hats. He cannot be at the same time on the WSA Board in a voluntary capacity while having commercial interests in anti-doping and animal welfare and acting as the national association’s veterinarian. Accusations of deriving a personal advantage could arise, which in the interest of the WSA has to be avoided at all cost.

Withdrawn per mail from 25th of July 2016 from VDSV

  • Proposal 4:

The WSA Board is currently made up of 11 members. In order for it to be more agile, we propose to eliminate the position of Director Public Relations.

Rationale: The Director Public Relations currently looks after the website. This could be awarded externally. All other PR activities should be driven by the directors of the various disciplines.

Withdrawn per mail from 25th of July 2016 from VDSV

  • Proposal 5:

We propose that from 2018 onwards, European championships should be organised exclusively under the lead of and in collaboration with ESDRA. Key is a purebred ranking and European Champion title.

Rationale:

  1. This is the best solution for the sport as a whole.
  2. Secures the purebred sled dog sport.
  3. Achieves integration within the European sled dog sport and justifies our exceptional place in the world.
  4. Strengthens the class sizes.
  5. Huge reduction in costs.
  6. Upgrades the standing of the title, as only one European Champion.
  7. Appearance of a national team.
  8. Part of why we engage in sport is to make new friends and to bring together people.
  9. Promotion of a joint sled dog sport.
  10. Formation and appearance of a unified national team.
  11. Experience of a large event (6 days)
  12. Unites the sled dog sport scene.

Withdrawn by VDSV in the assembly .

Topic 17 - Any Other Business (AOB)

  1. Appointment of Franky De Backer and Rudiger de Pauw as official WSA-Race Judges – they both did all the requirements as Arno Steichler reported.

The assembely accepted Franky de Backer and Rudiger De Pauw as offical Race Judges with a clear majority

  1. Formation of a working group in the board to find a solution of the worked up orders - Nation Quotas, Annex about votes, delegates, etc.

The formed group consists of Michael, Christoph, Cindy, Christian, and Manuela They will present as soon as possible their suggestions..

The assembely welcomed this with a clear majority.

  1. Lauf Dryland – members will be informed soon about registration

Written by Secretary - Manuela Petutschnig

Signed by President - Arno Steichler

 

WSA General Assembly
Hotel Tränkbachtal / Frauenwald, Germany / 19th September 2015

Opening of the General Assembly at 10.15am (the meeting was held in German and translated into English by Irene Valenkamp)

 

Topic 1

WSA Chairman welcomes members and guests. Chairman’s report of the previous year followed by reports of the other Board Members

The Chairman Arno Steichler welcomes delegates and guests. He explains the running order of the GA which includes a press conference for which he will need to interrupt the GA for half an hour. During this time Manuela Petutschnig will introduce urgent proposals that have been submitted after the agenda was issued. These will also be available to review.

The Chairman thanks the organizers of the 2015 Jubilee World Championships Mr Arnold Petutschnig and the team of RSSC Austria. Arno Steichler points to the large number of starters at the last World Championships and expresses his satisfaction with the continuous growth of the organization. He also touches on the fact that in future national quotas will have to be reduced to allow for further growth, something that will be discussed in more detail in topic 14.

He goes on to briefly touch on the activities of the other Board Members and mentions that he would like to discuss the introduction of a WSA Working Group to resolve among other items the national quota and the Eurocup issues. Furthermore, he would like to discuss the introduction of Dryland championships.

Then Arno Steichler asks everyone present to a minute's silence for Massimo Martini.

Topic 2

Acceptance of invitation and agenda as per WSA statutes

The agenda was adopted unanimously.

Topic 3

  • Counting of delegates and votes (See separate list of delegates and votes – Annex 1)

 

Cindy van den Brink and Manuela Petutschnig-Gruber check and update the attendance list, which has been drafted prior to the GA. They establish the following number of votes:

Delegates: 18 delegates with 21 votes (from topic 7 onwards - 2 votes for Norway)

Board: 9 Board Members with 11 votes

Club

Country

Name of delegate

Number of votes

VDSV

Germany

Marcel Kreuzig

1

VDSV

Germany

Ulrich Kuhn

1

VDSV

Germany

Anke Schiller

1

VDSV

Germany

Sonja Merbach

1

Concord

Russia

Elena Shepeleva sen.

1

Concord

Russia

Elena Shepeleva jr

1

DSO

Netherlands

Cindy Van den Brink

1

MBEL

Belgium

Rudiger de Pauw

1

MBEL

Belgium

Dasseville Xavier

1

SSV

Switzerland

Robert Schiesser

2

MCS

Switzerland

Guido Weilenmann

2

SDAS

Scotland

Mary Carter

1

SDAS

Scotland

John Carter

1

PASS

Poland

Mikołaj Waskowski

1

PASS

Poland

Mirek Waskowski

1

BMC

Czech Rep.

Stepan Krkoska

1

RSSC

Austria

Arnold Petutschnig

2

AMWA

England

Irene Valenkamp

1

WSA

Germany

Arno Steichler (Laurent Berge)

2

WSA

Germany

Michael Landau

1

WSA

Germany

Rolf Münch

1

WSA

Netherlands

Cindy Van den Brink

1

WSA

Austria

Manuela Petutschnig-Gruber

1

WSA

Poland

Jacek Włodarczyk

1

WSA

Austria

Christian Helm

1

WSA

Germany

Dr. Karsten Hesse

1

WSA

Germany

Christof Diehl (Teunis Bos)

2

   

TOTAL

32

 

A total number of 32 votes is established until topic 6. Should a country be granted membership and have a representation at the GA, their delegates will be able to vote from topic 7 onwards (this applies to Norway, which means the number of votes will increase to 34).

Topic 4

Report of the Treasurer and the Financial Auditors - discharge of Board

 

Addition – Discharge of the Financial Controllers followed by election of two new Financial Controllers for a period of 2 years in accordance with the Statutes §20/2

 

Cindy van den Brink reports on the previous financial year which ended with a loss of 304.49 euros. The bank account is in credit with a balance of 8,985.61 euros and thus as in previous years, balanced books can be presented to the GA. According to Cindy van den Brink, the small loss is incurred due to a combination of additional travel expenses to the IFSS Dryland Championships and Askino/ Slovakia not paying their membership fees.

 

The Financial Controllers Irene Valenkamp / Great Britain and Elena Shepeleva / Russia are both present at the meeting. Irene Valenkamp reports that all receipts have been checked and appear to be in order and the bank account balance is correct. Furthermore, the Financial Controllers commend the exemplary book keeping and propose to discharge the Treasurer and the Board.

 

The Swiss delegate requests that going forward the financial statement will be made available with the agenda ahead of time. This is endorsed by the Assembly and subsequently the Board and the Financial Controllers are being discharged unanimously.

As there are no new nominations for the role of Financial Controller, the President proposes to elect Irene Valenkamp and Elena Shepeleva for a further period. They agree and are being re-elected unanimously

Topic 5

Askino Slovakia and SAFFS South Africa will become inactive members

Arno Steichler reports that for several years the member clubs Askino Slovakia und SAFFS South Africa have been in arrears with their membership dues. Both clubs don’t respond to emails and are inactive to the best of his knowledge. The President proposes to vote on whether to expel them following a final written request to pay their outstanding dues within 4 weeks. The proposal is adopted by a majority.

Topic 6

Membership applications of Norway, Estonia, Belarus, Ukraine and Ireland (single membership David Lynch)

Addition at the GA – Urgent applications of Finland and Serbia

 

The Chairman reports that from the following countries have submitted complete membership applications: Norway, Ukraine, Estonia, Belarus and Ireland (single membership David Lynch). Finland and Serbia have submitted incomplete applications with missing documents to follow.
The following applications are approved by a majority:

Norway (full member)

Ukraine (full member)

Estonia (full member)

Belarus (full member)

Ireland - David Lynch (single membership)


The Assembly decides that following receipt of the complete documentation Serbia and Finland can be granted temporary membership by the Board. This will enable competitors from these countries to start at the World Championships. The Assembly will vote on a full membership of these countries at the next GA. This proposal is agreed by a majority.

Addition 1: Finland withdrew its application on 22 September 2015

Addition 2: Serbia has supplied the complete documentation and has been granted temporary member status until the GA in 2016

Topic 7

Official appointment of Justyna Janecka from Poland as an International Race Judge. She has met all requirements and should be added to the judges list and website

The Chairman reports that Justyna Janecka has met all conditions. From personal experience he can say that she completed her tasks exemplary while working alongside him in the start area during the last World Championships. He proposes that she is being appointed as an International Race Judge, which is approved unanimously. The Director Public Relations will create a profile and an email address for her on the website.

Topic 8

Championship contract – a clause should be added to state that a rescue snow mobile for dogs and mushers has to be available in the start/finish area for the duration of the event. Equally, a tent should be at the disposal of the vet team in the start/finish area

In the spirit of „learning by doing“ the Chairman states that the above is proven to be very useful. Therefore, it is already part of the draft contract with Frauenwald and has been acknowledged as such by the organizers. He requests formal confirmation of this proposal, which is being approved unanimously.


Topic 9

A paragraph needs to be added to the prologue of the Race Rules stating that only original FCI paperwork is being accepted

Following legitimate objections of some members, it’s being agreed unanimously to add the following sentence to the Race Rules: Only original versions of FCI compliant documents (no photocopies) will be accepted.

Topic 10

A paragraph needs to be added to the championship contract stating that a telephone list of all team leaders has to be drawn up. All member associations have to provide the WSA with the email address and the telephone number of their team leader at least one month prior to a championship

The Assembly decides to change the wording to the following: A list with telephone numbers of all team leaders has to be created. For this purpose all member clubs of the WSA must no later than one month prior to a championship provide the phone number and email address of their team leader to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. upon receipt of which they will receive their login details for the championship. This proposal is adopted by a majority.

Topic 11

A pool rule for Mid-Distance should be added to the Race Rules

DL 3-6 dogs from a pool of 7 dogs & DU 7-14 dogs from a pool of 14 dogs

Following a discussion of the pros and cons of this topic, a majority votes in favour of the introduction of a pool rule. The exact wording will be determined by the previously announced WSA Working Group.

Topic 12

Starting order at championships

Following a short overview by the President of the starting order previously in place, the proposed new starting order in which the Mid-Distance teams will start after the Sprint classes is approved by a majority. The order in which the classes within Sprint and Mid-Distance start remains at the discretion of the race organizers.


Topic 13

The behaviour of Sebastian Astelbauer during the championship in Scharnitz. He was disqualified because he used tape to change his race number: I love FISTC, WSA was crossed out, etc, because he disagreed with a decision of the race judges

The Chairman proposes to proceed in the same way as in a similar case two years ago. At the time, a warning was issued and the musher was told that a repeat offence would result in a temporary ban. The proposed warning is adopted by a majority.

Topic 14

Limitation of the number of competitors at championships in Sprint/ MD to 250 (200/50) and for Frauenwald to 200 (160/40)

After a lengthy discussion and following a proposal of one of the delegates the Assembly votes on whether the quotas for the 2016 World Championships should be derived by deducting a percentage from the currently valid quotas that are published in the Annex to the Race Rules. This will enable members to get an understanding of what is required. This proposal is adopted by a majority. The following list with Sprint quotas was then printed and distributed:

Given the many open questions and in order to shorten the debate, the President proposes that this topic too should be passed for further debate to the WSA Working Group. The Group will be tasked to find a fair solution. In the meantime it is agreed that all members will be contacted and asked how many competitors they would like to send to Frauenwald and how many places they would be willing to forgo. The result of this enquiry will then determine the final quotas. The proposal is adopted by a majority.

Topic 15

Proposals from Member countries / Board Members

Annex 2 Proposals Netherlands



All proposals from the Netherlands are withdrawn by Cindy van den Brink, the representative of the Dutch association because they either overlap with other topics or have been dealt with already.


Annex 3 Proposals Austria


Proposals 1 and 2 are also withdrawn by Arnold Petutschnig, the representative of RSSC Austria. Proposal 3 is put to the vote and is adopted unanimously.


Annex 4 Proposal Switzerland




The Swiss proposal is adopted by a majority and will form the basis for a veterinary guideline that will be drafted by the WSA Working Group.


Topic 16

Applications for the Championships in 2017 and 2018 and applications for Eurocup Races in 2015/16

  • Norway 2017

Norway’s bid for the 2017 championships is adopted by a majority. However, it is noted that Sprint and Mid-Distance need to take place on the same date. Furthermore, Norway has been asked to provide early on and in writing details of the requirements that dogs have to meet in order to be able to travel to Norway.

  • Todtmoos / Germany 2018

Arno Steichler reports that Todtmoos is interested in putting together a bid for the World Championships 2018. Also, Pian Cansiglio in Italy has shown an interest. Until formal bids have been received no decision will be taken.

Applications received so far for Eurocup Races 2015/16

  • Inzell
  • Zuberec
  • Todtmoos
  • Langtaufers
  • Pian Cansiglio

All of the above races are confirmed unanimously. As the WSA Working Group will review the Eurocup rules, it is decided that the deadline for potential further candidates to come forward will be extended

Topic 17

Any other business, future changes and items for the agenda of the next GA

  • Board elections due next year; with prior statute change to reduce number of Board Members

The President explains that previously, he was in favour of a reduction of the number of Board Members. However, because of the increase in the membership and the number of competitors, a loss of professionalism due to reduced resources, and the increase in scope through topics such as the introduction of Dryland championships, he has now changed his mind. He shares his delight that at the Board meeting all Board Members agreed to stand for a further period, testament to how well the team works together.

  • Eurocup model for Sprint and Mid-Distance

As previously mentioned this will be discussed by the WSA Working Group.

  • ONS point system versus Norway point system

A large majority comes out in favour of using Norway points to assess races.

  • Quotas for Member countries

As decided as part of the discussion about Topic 14, the WSA Working Group will not only come up with a proposal for Frauenwald but will also present the 2016 GA with a general proposal for the distribution of quotas.

  • Qualification through Eurocup

The Assembly passes this too to the WSA Working Group as part of the broader Eurocup debate with a view to vote on a proposal at the next GA.

  • Setting up working parties for Eurocup and quotas

As previously mentioned, the President proposes the formation of a WSA Working Group. It is proposed that the Working Group consists of:

  1. 5 Board Members
  2. 5 Member representatives
  3. Supported by – without voting rights –

Chairman Arno Steichler and Vice-Chairman Laurent Berge

The Assembly proposes the following candidates:

  1. Manuela Petutschnig-Gruber, Cindy van den Brink, Christoph Diehl,

Jacek Wlodarzcyk and Michael Landau as Board representatives

  1. Elena Shepeleva, Line Löw, Robert Schiesser, Arnold Petutschnig and Rudiger de Pauw as Member representatives

The above candidates are being elected unanimously and will start work immediately on the topics covered in the minutes of the GA.

  • Email addresses to cancel or change categories at championships

In order to facilitate the coordination, the WSA will set up email addresses for all members. These will be used exclusively to change classes and withdraw competitors. This proposal is adopted by a majority.


Topics that were added as Urgent Proposals and that were available for review during the press conference

  • Introduction of a WSA email address for all countries to facilitate communication (Chris Helm, Manuela Petutschnig-Gruber)

All Members receive login details that enable them to access their WSA email address. From here they can also set up forwarding to their personal email addresses. Members that aren’t represented at the GA will receive their login details via email from the Director Public Relations.

  • Set-up of a WSA Shop from where WSA branded merchandise as well as souvenirs of the various championships can be ordered (Christian Helm, Arno Steichler)

The set-up of such a shop by the Director Public Relations is adopted by a majority.

  • Introduction of Dryland Championships and preparation of Dryland Rules (Arno Steichler)

The introduction of Dryland Championship is supported by a large majority and work on the preparation of Dryland Rules will commence imminently.

Levy of a fee to support the veterinary care at championships and penalties for organizers that don’t comply. Both measures are designed to improve the quality of the veterinary care

The proposal is adopted by a large majority. The Treasurer Cindy van den Brink will levy the fee.

  • Urgent proposal VDSV – Support for Ethics Code

 



 

The above addendum has been added by the WSA and was not part of the original proposal.

The Ethics Code is adopted by an absolute majority. All members are to adopt this policy and it should add to its invitations to events.

  • Urgent proposal Christoph Diehl and Michael Landau

Proposals 1 and 2 are withdrawn as the WSA Working Group has been tasked with them. Proposal 3 is presented and adopted by a large majority. Christoph Diehl will coordinate this initiative and is available for questions.

 

Finally, the programme for Frauenwald is being presented as it currently stands. The GA is closed at 5.20pm.

Minutes: Manuela Petutschnig-Gruber, Secretary WSA

Signed: Arno Steichler, Chairman WSA



WSA GENERAL ASSEMBLY

Gasthof Risserhof/ Scharnitz/ Tirol on 20th September 2014


 

10.40 am: Opening of the General Assembly (the meeting was held in German and translated into English by Irene Valenkamp)

 

Topic 1

Welcome of members and guests from the WSA Chairman and report of previous year. Reports of other board members.

The Chairman Arno Steichler welcomes delegates and guests. In view of a future collaboration with the IFSS, the Chairman is particularly pleased to welcome the treasurer of the IFSS, Christian Haeberli.

Arno Steichler summarizes the long way the WSA has come since the reconstitution of the Board in 2011 in Campo Felice. He points out what a success the past championships have been and thanks the respective organizers. He also touches on the continuously growing membership, the increased media coverage and the balanced books.

He briefly summarizes the activities of the other Board members and reminds everybody of the upcoming joint IFSS/WSA Dryland Championships in France, a first step towards what is anticipated to become a broader future collaboration with the IFSS.

Finally, he thanks Arnold Petutschnig, President of RSSC-Austria, for his hospitality and expresses his excitement about the upcoming Jubilee World Championships in Scharnitz.

 

Topic 2

Acceptance of invitation and agenda as per WSA statutes

The agenda was accepted unanimously.

 

Topic 3

Counting of delegates and votes

Following the examination of the list of attendees by Cindy van den Brink and Manuela Petutschnig-Gruber and the update of the data, the following number of votes was established:

Delegates: 24 votes

Board: 11 votes

Club

Country

Name of delegate

Number of votes

VDSV

Germany

Marcel Kreuzig

2

VDSV

Germany

Rechner Markus

2

SZPZ

Slovakia

Ivan Vasko

2

Concord

Russia

Elena Shepeleva

1

   

Elena Shepeleva jr

1

DSO

Netherlands

Cindy Van den Brink

1

FFST

France

Laurent Berge

1

MBEL

Belgium

Rudiger de Pauw

1

   

Freddy Guillaume

1

MCS

Switzerland

Guido Weilenmann

1

   

Christian Haeberli

1

SSV

Switzerland

Guido Weilenmann

1

   

Christian Haeberli

1

PASS

Poland

Jacek Włodarczyk

1

   

Mikołaj Włodarczyk

1

RSSC

Austria

Arnold Petutschnig

2

BMC

Czech Rep.

Stepan Krkoska

1

AMWA

England

Irene Valenkamp

1

SDAS

Scotland

Mary Carter

1

   

John Carter

1

     

24

WSA

Germany

Michael Landau

1

WSA

Germany

Rolf Münch

1

WSA

Germany/Sweden

Arno Steichler (Teunis Bos)

2

WSA

Netherlands

Cindy Van den Brink

1

WSA

Austria

Manuela Petutschnig Gruber

1

WSA

Poland

Jacek Włodarczyk

1

WSA

France

Laurent Berge

1

WSA

Austria

Christian Helm

1

WSA

Germany

Christof Diehl (Karsten Hesse)

2

   

IN TOTAL

35

 

Somit wurde eine Gesamtstimmenzahl von 35 Stimmen festgestellt.

 

Topic 4

Report of the Treasurer and the Financial Auditors - discharge of the Board

Cindy van den Brink reported on the past financial year and was able to present balanced accounts. On the membership front, only ASKINO/Slovakia did not pay their membership dues.

The Financial Auditors Irene Valenkamp/ UK and Elena Shepeleva/ Russia are both present at the meeting and report that the accounts and the cashbook are in good order. Furthermore, they comment on the exemplary bookkeeping and request to discharge the Board

 

Topic 5

Membership applications of ASRC (Austria) and ANDORRA MUSHING (Andorra)

Arno Steichler explains that this topic had already led to lengthy discussions at the Board meeting. The WSA statutes dictate that in order to admit a second member club for any country there have to be sporting, language or cultural/historical reasons that justify the admission. Given that in the case of the Austrian club ASRC none of these reasons apply, the application doesn’t comply with the statutes and is being rejected. The Chairman welcomes the continued influx of new membership applications but stresses that the goal has to be a single member club per country. He and Vice-Chairman Laurent Berge request that in the course of the coming two to three years countries that currently have two member clubs look into forming a joint national umbrella association to which the WSA membership is being transferred.

Following the rejection of the membership application of ASRC, the assembly is asked to only vote on the application of Andorra Mushing. The application is accepted unanimously. Arno Steichler will inform the club via email about the positive outcome and welcome them into the WSA.

 

Topic 6

Statute amendment § 4 Basic Principles

Changing from:

The WSA and its members are encouraged to adhere to the following basic principles:
1. Sled dog races according to the statutes of the WSA are only to be held with pedigree sled dogs in accordance with F.C.I. rules and regulations .
2. The fundamental principles of amateur sport and fair play have to be observed and adhered to at all times.
3. WSA and its members guarantee to observe the rules of international federations for the prevention of maltreatment of animals.
4. The following grades and categories are fixed for reasons of sport specific registration:
Category 1 = Siberian Husky
Category 2 = Alaskan Malamute, Greenland Dog, Samoyed
Grades = O; A; B; C; D; SM; SW; SJM; SJW

To:

The WSA and its members are encouraged to adhere to the following basic principles:
1. Cooperation with the respective breed associations in the various countries as well as the F.C.I. .
2. The fundamental principles of amateur sport and fair play have to be observed and adhered to at all times.
3. WSA and its members guarantee to observe the rules of international federations for the prevention of maltreatment of animals.
4. The following grades and categories are fixed for reasons of sport specific registration:
Category 1 = Siberian Husky
Category 2 = Alaskan Malamute, Greenland Dog, Samoyed
Grades = UL, 8,6,4,2, SM, SW, SJM, SJW, MD (middle Distance), D (long Distance)

The statute amendment §4.1 was rejected unanimously. The statute amendment
§ 4.4 was accepted unanimously.

 

Topic 7

Statute amendment: § 13 Notice of a General Assembly / Proposals

Changing from:

The regular General Assembly/GA takes place once a year – preferably in June/July. The latest date is the 15th September. The GA is called by the Chairman. The notice has to be in writing and has to be made public on the WSA website accordingly.

To:

The regular General Assembly/GA takes place once a year – preferably in June/July. The latest date is the month of September. The GA is called by the Chairman. The notice has to be in writing and has to be made public on the WSA website accordingly.

The statute amendment was accepted unanimously

Vice-Chairman Laurent Berge points out that an earlier date would be preferable given that many mushers have started training in September. Arno Steichler responds that going forward whenever possible a date in June will be favoured but that enough times needs to be given to the venues organizing championships to prepare a meaningful presentation.

 

Topic 8

Adaptation of the race rules as a result of the earlier statute changes:

Changing from:

2. Special Rules for Nome Style

2.1 CLASSES.

2.1.1 An OPEN or UNLIMITED (O-class) team shall consist of not less than 8 dogs, with a minimum of 9 dogs in the first run. The musher must be at least 18 years of age.

2.1.2 A limited 8 dog class team (A-class) shall consist of 6 to 8 dogs, with a minimum of 7 dogs in the first heat. The musher must be at least 18 years of age.

2.1.3 A limited 6 dog class team (B-class) shall consist of 4 to 6 dogs, with a minimum of 5 dogs in the first heat. The musher must be at least 16 years of age.

2.1.4 A limited 4 dog class team (C-class) shall consist of 3 to 4 dogs. The musher must be at least 16 years of age.

2.1.5 A limited 2 dog class team (D-class) shall consist of the same 2 dogs at all heats. The musher must be at least 16 years of age.

2.1.6 A musher at the age of at least 12 years and not older than 15 years shall be considered as “JUNIOR”. It is assumed that the junior has the explicit permission to from either the parents or the custodian to participate in the event and that an adequate personal insurance coverage is available. Junior mushers will be marked (J) in the final results. Junior classes are D-class and Skijoring. Junior classes must run over the D-Trail

2.1.7 The age of any musher is regarded to be the same during the whole season and is the age the musher reaches on the 31st of December following the end of the racing season.

To:

2 Special Rules for Nome Style

2.1 CLASSES.

2.1.1 An unlimited team (UL-class) shall consist of not less than 8 dogs, with a minimum of 9 dogs in the first run. The musher must be at least 18 years of age.

2.1.2 A limited 8 dog class team (8-dog-class) shall consist of 6 to 8 dogs, with a minimum of 7 dogs in the first heat. The musher must be at least 18 years of age.

2.1.3 A limited 6 dog class team (6-dog-class) shall consist of 4 to 6 dogs, with a minimum of 5 dogs in the first heat. The musher must be at least 16 years of age.

2.1.4 A limited 4 dog class team (4-dog-class) shall consist of 3 to 4 dogs. The musher must be at least 16 years of age.

2.1.5 A limited 2 dog class team (2-dog-class) shall consist of the same 2 dogs at all heats. The musher must be at least 16 years of age.

2.1.6 A musher at the age of at least 12 years and not older than 15 years shall be considered as “JUNIOR”. It is assumed that the junior has the explicit permission to from either the parents or the custodian to participate in the event and that an adequate personal insurance coverage is available. Junior mushers will be marked (J) in the final results. Junior classes are 2-dog-class and Skijoring. Junior classes must run over the 2-dog-trail

2.1.7 The classification is based on the actual age of the musher on the first day of the championship.

 

Changing from:

2.2 EQUIPMENT

2.2.4 A sled shall be capable of adequately carrying the driver, standing on the runners and have a basket of minimum surface of 40x50 cm, with a solid bottom capable of safely carrying a dog. All sleds in all classes shall be equipped with an adequate brake, brake pad, brushbow, one(1) snowhook for D and C classes is mandatory, two (2) snowhooks are allowed. Two (2) snowhooks for B, A and O are mandatory. All sleds shall be equipped with a dog bag. The dog bag must be of adequate size to carry the largest dog in the team and should be ventilated with holes or a net of a minimum surface of 600 cm². So called Swedish- or Firefighter shackles with sharp edges/locking teeth are not permitted at any point in the harness or equipment as well as the stake out equipment. This is for animal welfare reasons

To:

2.2 EQUIPMENT.

2.2.4 A sled shall be capable of adequately carrying the driver, standing on the runners and have a basket of minimum surface of 40x50 cm, with a solid bottom capable of safely carrying a dog. All sleds in all classes shall be equipped with an adequate brake, brake pad, brushbow, one(1) snowhook for 2-dog and 4-dog-classes is mandatory, two (2) snowhooks are allowed. Two (2) snowhooks for 6-, 8- and UL-classes are mandatory. All sleds shall be equipped with a dog bag. The dog bag must be of adequate size to carry the largest dog in the team and should be ventilated with holes or a net of a minimum surface of 600 cm². So called Swedish- or Firefighter shackles with sharp edges/locking teeth are not permitted at any point in the harness or equipment as well as the stake out equipment. This is for animal welfare reasons.

 

Changing from:

3 Special Rules for Pulka Style

To:

3 Special Rules for Pulka Style (SW/SM)

 

New:

3.3 Trail and Starting Rules

3.3.6 Pulka class shall compete on the 6-dog-class trail.

 

Changing from:

4 Special Rules for Skijoring

To:

4 Special Rules for Skijoring (SJW/SJM)

 

Changing from:

4.1 Classes

4.1.5 Separate classes for drivers aged 12-15 years may be offered on the “D-trail”. A musher at the age of at least 12 years and not older than 15 years shall be considered as “JUNIOR”. It is assumed that the Junior has the explicit permission to from either the parents or the custodian to participate in the event and that an adequate personal insurance coverage is available. Junior mushers will be marked (J) in the final results.

4.1.6 The age of any musher is regarded to be the same during the whole season and is the age the musher reaches on the 31st of December following the end of the racing season.

To:

4.1 Classes

4.1.5 Separate classes for drivers aged 12-15 years may be offered on the 2 dog-trail. A musher at the age of at least 12 years and not older than 15 years shall be considered as “JUNIOR”. It is assumed that the Junior has the explicit permission to from either the parents or the custodian to participate in the event and that an adequate personal insurance coverage is available. Junior mushers will be marked (J) in the final results.

4.1.6 The classification is based on the actual age of the musher on the first day of the championship.

Changing from:

4.4 Trail Rules

4.4.4 Skijoring class shall compete on a trail of a maximum of 12 Km.

To:

4.4 Trail Regeln

4.4.4 Skijoring class shall compete on the 6-dog-class trail.

 

New:

5.2.8 Pure sprint sledges are not allowed in MD and D classes (for example Hornet, Spyder or similar sledges)

 

Changing from:

7.6.2 Starting Intervals

7.6.2.1 One (1) or two (2) minutes in limited classes involving eight dogs or less as well as Pulka and Skijoring class. At the World Championship / European Championship the starting intervals must be at least one (1) minute for Pulka, Skijoring, D and C classes, and two (2) minutes for B, A and O classes.

To:

7.6.2 Starting Intervals

7.6.2.1 One (1) or two (2) minutes in limited classes involving eight dogs or less as well as Pulka and Skijoring class. At the World Championship / European Championship the starting intervals must be at least one (1) minute for Pulka, Skijoring, 2-dog- and 4-dog-classes and two (2) minutes for 6-, 8- and UL-classes.

 

Changing from:

7.8 Time Disqualification

The time disqualification shall be effective if a team’s performance is more than 150 % of the fastest three (3) running time per heat and class. This also goes for Juniors. Every team will be compared with their own original class. At a World Championship / European Championship no exceptions are allowed.

To:

7.8 Time Disqualification

The time disqualification shall be effective if a team’s performance is more than 150 % of the fastest three (3) running times per heat and class. This also goes for Juniors. Every team will be compared with their own original class. At a World Championship / European Championship no exceptions are allowed2) 3).

2) 7.8 Exception musher with recognized handicap - paralympics guidelines

3) 7.8. The time disqualification does not apply if a delay is due to providing recognized assistance

Changing from:

7.11.2 Trail Distances

7.11.2.1.2 Trail Distances per heat:
- Unlimited class: more than 18 km
- Eight dog class: 16 km to 19 km
- Six dog classes: 10 km to 15 km
- Four dog classes: 7km to 10km
- Two dog classes: 5 km to 6 km
- Pulka & Skijoring: The distance for Pulka and Skijoring shall be identical to the trail distance of the B category except as otherwise indicated.

To:

7.11.2 Trail Distances per Heat

7.11.2.1.2 Trail Distances per heat:
- Unlimited class: more than 18 km
- Eight dog class: 16 km to 19 km
- Six dog classes: 10 km to 15 km
- Four dog classes: 7km to 10km
- Two dog classes: 5 km to 6 km
- Pulka & Skijoring: to the trail distance of the 6-dog-class.

 

Changing from:

7.11.2.2.2 The distance shall be at least 40 km.

To:

7.11.2.2.2 The distance shall be at least 40 km (MD).

 

Changing from:

7.12 Trail Markings

7.12.1 General

7.12.1.6 Markers applicable for a certain class or certain classes only, shall be marked with the class(es)‘ identification („O“, „A“, „B“, „C“, „SH“, „SD” or „SJ“) in white letters in the centre of the marker.

To:

7.12 Trail Markings

7.12.1 General

7.12.1.6 Markers applicable for a certain class or certain classes only, shall be marked with the class(es)‘ identification (UL, 8, 6 (=SM/SW/SJM/SJW), 4, 2 and MD (Middle Distance)) in colour in the centre of the marker.


Topic 9

Redress Eurocup rules

Arno Steichler explained that the original English translation of the Eurocup rules was ambiguous in one point. Irene Valenkamp updated the translation to remove the ambiguity. The formal change of the rules was accepted unanimously.

 

Topic 10

IFSS/WSA Dryland Championships in France

The Chairman asks Vice-Chairman Laurent Berge to update the Assembly on the IFSS/WSA Dryland European Championships in France as he has been leading the negotiations and the organisation on behalf of the WSA. The Vice-Chairman thanks the IFSS Treasurer Christian Haeberli for attending the GA and explains that Christian Haeberli is working with Christian Helm on defining the registration process for the upcoming joint championship. He goes on to explain that this joint championship is very much a prototype and a learning curve for both organizations. He appeals to the membership to bear with the organizers as not everything will be perfect and that as guests of the IFSS we have to be willing to accept compromises. However, Laurent is confident that solutions will be found for all remaining issues. A list of the quotas per member club can be found in the attachments to the agenda.

Members are being asked to bear in mind the following:

  1. 1. By 1st October, members have to inform Arno Steichler and Laurent Berge via email how many starters they intend to send to the Dryland Championships. This might enable countries that would like to send more competitors than their quota currently allows to increase their allocation.
  2. 2. All member clubs that are also a member of the IFSS, will have to register their competitors directly with the IFSS. All other members have to register their purebred teams directly with the WSA.
  3. 3. All competitors need to purchase a DID (€ 30) regardless whether they register via the WSA or directly with the IFSS.


Topic 11

Miscellaneous about Scharnitz as well as approval for Championship 2015 in Scharnitz

Arno Steichler hands over to Arnold Petutschnig, President of RSSC Austria, the organizers of the 2015 World Championships. He briefly explains the event and presents a video showing the work that has gone into the championship to date. The Chairman expresses his excitement about the upcoming championship and praises the progress that has been made to date.

 

Topic 12

Applications for the 2016 and 2017 Championships and applications for 2014/15 Eurocup race series

The sole application received for the 2016 World Championships is by SSCT/VDSV/Frauenwald. The application is approved unanimously.

Until now the following Eurocup race applications for the 2014/15 race series have been received: Unterjoch, Frauenwald and Campo Felice. The final deadline for the submission of Eurocup race applications is 1st October (via email to Arno Steichler) in order to ensure a timely publication of the final race calendar on the website.

 

Topic 13

AOB

Christoph Diehl requests that member clubs inform mushers who intend to participate in the Dryland Championships in France that if they have dogs that are being treated for thyroid issues to get in touch with the WSA vet Dr. Karsten Hesse.as soon as possible

Arno Steichler reports that all doping samples collected in Kandersteg tested negative.

The Assembly accepted unanimously the proposal to increase the fees paid by the organizers of championships to the WSA by € 5 as of 2016.

 

The Chairman closed the General Assembly at 1.20pm

 

Minutes: Manuela Petutschnig-Gruber, Secretary WSA

 

Signed: Arno Steichler, Chairman WSA

 

Minutes of the WSA GA 2013 in Aschau / Tyrol

Saturday, 21 September 2013


 

Opening of the meeting 13:44 hrs

Prior to Topic 1, Chairman Arno Steichler explained that the French WSA Vicechairman Laurent Berge is absent for professional reasons (he is a member of the French Air Force and involved in the Syria conflict). However, he has indicated that he is available for re-election. The two auditors Chris Langer from Switzerland and Roderick Glastra from the Netherlands were not able to attend either. Both would like to stand down from their roles as auditors. However, a letter was received from the auditors confirming that the books were checked and to be found in good order and no objections are made against discharging the treasurer.
Manuela Petutschnig also sends her apologies. She attended yesterday's Board meeting, but due to a family celebration (wedding) is unable to attend the GA. She is also available for re-election. The doping officer Dr Karsten Hesse is equally unable to attend the GA for professional reasons but available for re-election. Bernd Reif from Germany would like to stand down as Director Pulka. He wishes the WSA all the very best. The representatives of the Slovak Association Askino Alpha are unable to attend in person because they are currently in Alaska. An email with their apology was sent to the WSA .
The Chairman points out that according to the WSA Statutes, meetings can be held in German as well as in English. In the light of Topic 16 of the Agenda, it was agreed that the General Assembly would be held in German particularly as with Irene Valenkamp from the UK there was someone at the meeting who was able to translate the discussions immediately into English.
In Manuela Petutschnig’s absence, Rolf Münch from Germany and Irene Valenkamp from the UK were asked to write the minutes.

Topic 1 13:50 hrs
Welcome and Report of the Chairman in German and English, see appendix. In this context, a minute's silence was held for Udo Nässl.

The following topics were discussed in German and translated into English by Irene Valenkamp.

Topic 2 13:58 hrs
The Invitation and Agenda were accepted unanimously without any votes against or abstentions.

Topic 3 14:00 hrs
Delegates and Board Members present were instructed to sign the attendance list and make a note of the amount of votes they represented. The Chairman reminded the Assembly that individuals can represent a maximum of 2 votes. Votes can be transferred but only to members of the same club and among Board members.
Delegates of members seeking admission to the WSA were advised to add their names to the list. They will be entitled to vote once their request has been approved and Topic 6 has been closed.
21 delegate votes and 9 Board votes were counted. A total of 30 votes.


Topic 4 14:13 hrs
Cindy van den Brink (Treasurer) from the Netherlands presented her financial report. Overall, a positive trend can be observed. Also, the afore-mentioned report of the Auditors Langer and Glastra was read out.
Upon request, the Treasurer and the Board were discharged unanimously (30 yes / 0 abstentions / 0 no).

Topic 5 14:20 hrs
On behalf of the absent Vice-Chairman Laurent Berge, the Chairman announced that in 2014, the intention is to organize a European Dryland Championship near Paris in collaboration with the IFSS. Laurent Berge and the IFFS Board member Bernard Pepin of France are in close contact.
With a vote of 16/3/11 the GA gave Laurent Berge the mandate to continue to work with the IFFS on behalf of the WSA on realizing this project.

Topic 6 14:25 hrs
New membership applications. The Board had reviewed and was in support of all applications.


Results:
Scotland (SDAS) : 30/0/0
New Zealand (SDNZ) : 30/0/0
Slovakia (SZPZ) : 30/0/0
Sweden (SPHK) : 30/0/0
Switzerland (SSV) : 30/0/0

Thus, all membership applications were approved unanimously.

Topic 7 14:45 hrs
Following the accession of the new members, the total number of votes present increased to 35. The Board has to be elected by secret ballot and the election of an Election Committee, which takes over the management of the GA until a Chairman is elected, is required. The Election Committee also monitors the election of the other Board Members and counts the ballot papers.The Assembly suggested Robert Schiesser from Switzerland and Christian Geier from Italy for this role. There were no further suggestions. The Election Committee was elected unanimously and Robert Schiesser took over the Assembly.

1 Chairman: Proposed: Arno Steichler - no further proposals. Result: 35/0/0
2 Vice-Chairman: Proposed: Laurent Berge - no further proposals. Result: 29/0/6
3 Director Sport: Proposed: Jacek Wlodarczyk - no further proposals. Result: 33/1/1
4 Treasurer: Proposed: Cindy van den Brink - no further proposals. Result: 28/1/6
5 Secretary: Proposed: Manuela Petutschnig - no further proposals. Result: 31/3/1
All Board members accepted their re-election or had communicated in advance their willingness to stand for re-election.
The proposal to destroy the ballot papers was unanimously carried.
The election of the Board was followed by a short break.

Topic 8 15:30 hrs
It was explained that unless a secret ballot was requested, the Extended Board could be elected by show of hands. There were no requests for a secret ballot.

1 Director Sprint: Proposed: Christof Diehl - no further proposals. Result: 33/2/0
2 Director MD: Proposed: Michael Landau - no further proposals. Result: 34/1/0
3 Director Pulka: Proposed: Teunis Bos - no further proposals. Result 32/3/0
The number of votes increased to 36.
4 Veterinary / Anti-Doping: Proposed: Dr.vet. Karsten Hesse - no further proposals. Result: 36/0/0
5 PR / Webmaster: Proposed: Chris Helm - no further proposals. Result: 34/2/0
6 Director Dryland: Proposed: Rolf Münch - no further proposals. Result: 36/0/0
The number of votes increased to 37.

In this context, the Chairman pointed out that the Dutch member DSO had submitted a motion to reduce the number of Board Members. However, as this application didn’t meet all the formal requirements in order to be put forward to this year’s GA, the motion was withdrawn. However, the motion was discussed at yesterday’s Board Meeting and at the 2014 GA the intention is to put a motion regarding the Extended Board to the membership. It’s the intention to reduce the Directors Sprint / MD / Pulka / Dryland to two directors.

Topic 9 15:45 hrs
The WSA Race Judge Committee is composed of the WSA Director Sport and two elected WSA Race Judges. Thus as Director Sport, Jacek Wlodarczyk is automatically a member. The Assembly proposed:
1 Roderick Glastra from the Netherlands
2 Chris Langer from Switzerland.

There were no other suggestions. Both were re-elected unanimously (37/0/0) and accepted the election.

Topic 10 15:50 hrs
Both auditors have indicated that they would like to stand down from their duties. As successors the Assembly proposed:
1 Irene Valenkamp from the UK
2 Elena Shepeleva from Russia

There were no further proposals. Irene Valenkamp was elected 37/0/0 and Elena Shepeleva 36/0/1. Both candidates accepted the election.

After a break, the meeting was continued at 16:15 hrs.

Topic 11 16:15 hrs
The proposal by the Dutch member DSO was carried with 35/2/0 votes.
The Race Rules will be amended accordingly. The time limit does not apply in cases of approved assistance.

The Swiss motion for standardization of the race classes with the IFFS was withdrawn following feedback from the Chairman. Not only would the motion have required a change in Race Rules but would also have triggered a change to the WSA Statutes as the race classes are also specified there. The motion was not received within the necessary timeframe to do so and wasn’t adequately formulated as the proposed amendments to the Statutes were missing. The Swiss member withdrew its motion and will present it again at the next GA.

The second Swiss motion for a change of dog age/ alignment with the IFFS was rejected 03/07/27.
In this context, the Chairman noted that even though there is certainly a desire to work more closely with the IFFS going forward, it should be a give and take. Therefore, the IFFS is also requested to think about their rules.

Topic 12 16:45 hrs
The Chairman explained the bid for the 2014 World Championship in Kandersteg and communicated his excitement about the event. On 18./19.10.2013, a small WSA delegation will visit Kandersteg to meet with the organizing committee and wrap up final event details. Also at the periphery of the GA, positive discussions were held. The GA confirmed Kandersteg’s bid unanimously.

Topic 13 16:55 hrs
The Chairman explained that in 2015, it will be the WSA’s 20th anniversary. To celebrate this, the WSA Board considers hosting a Jubilee World Championship. The Austrian member RSSC together with Bad Mitterndorf has submitted a bid to host this event. No other applications have been received to date.
The Jubilee Championship is awarded unanimously to Austria. For 2016, inquiries have been received from the Swedish member who is contemplating including the Östersund Ski Stadium in the event. However, so far this has only been an inquiry/ preliminary talks. The Chairman indicated that further applications are expected from other members for the next GA.
The following venues were accepted unanimously for the WSA Eurocup series 2013/14:
1 Langtaufers / Italy
2 Campo Felice / Italy
3 Unterjoch / Germany
4 Angerberg / Austria
5 Lenk / Switzerland
6 Bad Mitterndorf / Austria

Topic 14 17:05 hrs
After verification of the documents submitted, Arnold Petutschnig from Austria has met all the requirements that are necessary for the appointment of an WSA Race Marshall. Arnold Petutschnig was unanimously appointed a WSA Race Marshall.

Topic 15 17:10 hrs
The Chairman reported on the circumstances that led to the separation between the WSA and the IFFS in 2006. Contact has been made again since. The GA decided unanimously that the talks should continue.

To great applause the Eurocup Winners 2012/2013 were honored .

There was a break until 17:35 hrs.
The Chairman explained that Topic 16 could not be discussed until 17.30 hrs as a number of people had the right to be present for the discussion of this topic. Tamara Schlemmer and her lawyer had also been informed that according to the agenda the matter would be discussed at 17.00 hrs. Therefore, the topic wouldn’t be discussed until 17:30 hrs. Additionally, it was pointed out that copies of the files sent to Tamara Schlemmer’s lawyers were available for review in German and English. Questions could be submitted anytime.

Topic 16 17:37 hrs

The GA imposed a liftime ban/ exclusion from the WSA on Tamara Schlemmer.

 

The meeting was closed at 19:20 hrs


Minutes:
Irene Valenkamp Rolf Münch

AMWA Great Britain VDSV Germany


signed:
Arno Steichler, WSA Chairman

 

WSA GENERAL ASSEMBLY in Aschau/Zillertal on 22.09.2012

Opening of the Assembly at 16.15 hrs (Assembly language: English)

 

Point 1

Welcome of the Delegates and Report of the President

Welcome

Arno Steichler reports on the 2012 World Championship in Zuberec/Slovakia and extends his thanks once again to the organizing committee.

He also reports briefly on the activities of the board members, demonstrating that the WSA is on the rise again.

Point 2

Acceptance of the Invitation and Agenda According to the WSA Statute

The agenda is accepted unanimously.

Point 3

Number of Votes Delegates and Board Members
Delegates: Germany (5 votes), Russia (2 votes), Netherlands (1 vote), Poland (2 votes), Austria (2 votes),Switzerland SSK (2 votes), Switzerland MSC (1 vote), Italy (2 votes), Slovakia (1 vote), Czech Republic (1 vote)

After point 10 – Great Britain (1 vote)

After point 11 - Italy (1 vote)


Board: President (1 vote), Vice President (1 vote), Director Sport (1 vote), Secretary (1 vote), Treasurer (1 vote), WSA Anti-Doping Officer (1 vote), Director Skijoering-Pulka (1 vote)

After point 8 – Director Public Relations (1 vote)

Point 4

Treasurer Report, Auditor Report and Election of Auditor

Cindy van den Brink delivers the financial report for the past year during which the WSA made a profit.

The Auditors Christian Langer/Switzerland and Roderick Glastra/Netherlands are being represented at the GA by Christian Langer/Switzerland. He reports to have checked the books having received all documents from the Treasurer. The current bank balance and all documents are correct.

The Assembly discharges the Board and the Treasurer unanimously.

Point 5

Election of an Auditor for a Further Year

Christian Langer/Switzerland is re-elected as Auditor for a further year by a majority vote.

Point 6

Election of a Vice President, Initially for the Duration of one Year

Due to the resignation of our Vice President Sandra Makkreel for personal reasons as per her letter dated 04.07.2012, a new Vice President needs to be appointed initially for one year. The President proposes Laurent Berge/ France for this role. Laurent Berge introduces himself and is confirmed as Vice President by a majority vote.

Point 7

Change/ Extension of Statute § 6.2 Bodies of the Association/ Extended Board

The President explains the need for a change of the Statute as the need for a webmaster becomes ever more apparent. The Assembly decides unanimously to change the paragraph as follows:

  • 6.2 Bodies oft he Association/ Extended Board

From ……. the technical directors (Director Sprint/Director Distance/Director Skijoering-Pulka/Director Off Snow) and the Association’s Vet/Anti-Doping Officer, are also openly elected for a period of 3 years and also have the right to vote. The members of the Extended Board each have only 1 vote even if they fulfil more than one function. More than 2 functions are not allowed.

 

To the following wording:

………….. the technical directors (Director Sprint/ Director Distance/ Director Skijoering-Pulka/Director Off Snow/ Director Public Relations/Webmaster) and the Association’s Vet/Anti-Doping Officer, are also openly elected for a period of 3 years and also have the right to vote. The members of the Extended Board each have only 1 vote even if they fulfil more than one function. More than 2 functions are not allowed.

Point 8

Election of a Director Public Relations/ Webmaster

The President proposes for this role Christian Helm who has already built the WSA website. Christian Helm introduces himself and is being confirmed by the Assembly as the Director Public Relations/ Webmaster by a majority vote.

Point 9

Issues with Member Clubs (treatment of member clubs whose membership dues are overdue or who are not contactable)

The Assembly decides with a majority vote that the WSA membership of member clubs whose membership dues are overdue for the past three consecutive years will automatically be terminated to enable other active clubs the join the WSA.

Point 10

Membership Application of Alaskan Malamute Working Association of Great Britain

Following a brief introduction of the Alaskan Malamute Working Association and based on the fact that currently no other active British club is a member of the WSA, the Assembly approves the membership application unanimously.

Point 11

Membership Application of Lucky Sleddog Club South Tirol as Second Italian Club in Conjunction with §7 Point 2 of the Statute

Lucky Sleddog Club South Tirol is being asked by the President to introduce themselves and to answer questions of the members. Due to disputes between the two Italian clubs, the President requests a secret ballot. The ballot is being counted by Bernd Reif and Cindy van den Brink and results in a majority approving the membership application of Lucky Sleddog Club South Tirol taking into account §7 Point 2 of the Statute.

Point 12

The Slovakian Federation would like to join the WSA. They have been invited to explain their situation and why they would like to join the WSA given that the Slovak club Askino is a longstanding WSA member club.

The Slovakian Federation is represented by its president Michael Kuvik who explains their situation. After an open discussion a secret ballot about the membership application is held resulting in a vote against the Slovakian Federation joining the WSA. The President suggests as an interim solution to issue the Slovakian Federation with 10 wild cards. A majority is in favour of this proposal.

 

BREAK

Point 13

Confirmation of Honorary Membership of Former President Bernd Keusemann by a 2/3 Majority

In Zuberec, the Board awarded Bernd Keusemann Honorary Membership. For this to be effective confirmation from the General Assembly is required. The vote is done by show of hands and results in an absolute majority.

Point 14

Requests from Member Clubs

  • RSSC-Austria

The requests of RSSC Austria are being voted on by show of hands.

Request 1
Common qualification system for all member clubs based on the Eurocup Model - rejected.
Request 2
WSA member clubs are not allowed to schedule national championships on the same date as international WSA championships – accepted
Request 3

Change of Time Disqualification rule

7.8 Time disqualification.
The time disqualification shall be effective if a team's performance is more than 150% of the fastest three (3) running times by heat and class.

Change into:

7.8. Time disqualification

The time disqualification for sprint mushers shall be effective if a team's performance is more than 150% of the fastest three (3) running times by heat and class.

The time disqualification for distance mushers shall be effective if a team's performance is more than 200% of the fastest three (3) running times by heat and class.

accepted

Request 4

Member clubs organizing races in countries of other member clubs have to always coordinate dates with the local club to avoid diary clashes – accepted.

Point 15

Suggestions for Eurocup Races for the Upcoming Season

RSSC Austria, Askino, VDSV, DSO and the new Italian Lucky Sleddogclub have registered their interest in organising at least one Eurocup Race. The President will accept requests per email until early December at which time he will inform the clubs whether their request was successful.

Point 16

Suggestions for Hosting the World Championship 2014 and the European Championship 2015

As until now no proposals for the hosting of the World Championship 2014 have been received, member clubs have been asked to work on proposals and submit them to the President by early December.

 

Point 17

Incident Claudio Ferrari – Sanctions

The Assembly suggests to ban the above mentioned musher for 2 years before reassessing the situation. This suggestion was accepted by an absolute majority.

 

Point 18

Official Commendation of Arno Steichler as Race Marshal and Rolf Münch and Patrick Leonhardt as Race Judges, as they have met all requirements

The Assembly accepted the commendation of the above-mentioned persons with an absolute majority.

 

Point 19

Any Other Business

The President requests all member clubs once again to look for venues for the 2014 World Championship. Furthermore, he asked the Italian clubs to find a consensus and wished everyone success for the upcoming season.

 

End of Assembly 19.30 hrs

 

Minutes: Manuela Petutschnig-Gruber, Secretary WSA

Signed: Arno Steichler, Chairman WSA

2011
WSA GA Campo de Felice, Italy
Date : 28.08.2010 Opening : 14.15

Topic 1
Mr. Nordlof welcomed the delegates of the member countries and the guests to the meeting. The president of the IFSS, Mr. Ferryl was invited to attend the meeting, unfortunately he could not come and asks to be excused. He wishes the members and guests a nice meeting.

Topic 2
Acceptance of invitation and agenda as per WSA Statutes. The secretary was requested to report the minutes of summer 2009 and winter 2010 in Oberwiesenthal . The secretary reported that there was no record made of the winter GA in February 2010. There will be voted by the Statutes of 2001 because study’s had shown that the newly adopted statutes were never filed in court in Aachen, Germany. Because of this only the statutes of 2001 are valid.

Topic 3
Count of votes and delegates. Present delegates with votes : Germany (5 votes) , Suisse (3 votes), Russian (1 vote), Netherlands (1 vote), France (2 votes) Poland (2 votes), Austria (1 vote), Sweden (2 votes) and last but not least Italy (2 votes) Board votes : president (1 vote), the vice-president (1 vote) and the sport-director (1 vote). In total 22 votes.

Topic 4
The General Assembly heard the yearly reports from the board
Chairman’s report:
The president told in his report that he was very much in contact with the IFSS in the last autum for the race in Norway and that he thinks it would be the best to find a way be together with the IFSS and he hopes to find a way together - with one race reglement.
Vice -Chairman’s report:
The vice Chairman was also talking about how important it is to work together with the IFSS. He thought if the WSA does not want to work together with IFSS this would be the perfect chance for the FISTC and this would be a step back and not forward for WSA.
Secretary’s report:
At first the secretary told about the doping controls in Oberwiesenthal. She told that the doping controls were paid by the organizers of Oberwiesenthal and that 13 persons were tested. One person had to been warned by the race marshal to work WSA GA 2010 2 on the test. There were 12 tests negative and one test tested positive. The reason was a dog how gets medication for epilepsie. This medication is on the banned list. This participant was disqualified in Oberwiesenthal but in these days there are several ways to go in a positive doping result. After checking the pro and contras the board decided that this musher is allowed to participate in the European Championship in Campo de Felice 2011. The second part of report from secretary was focusing the new transporting rule of the European Union. She told that the ESDRA is working very hard to change this rule. The Secretary works personally very hard for the reversal of this rule. Netherlands gave information from the FCI in the Netherlands and told that it would be the best if all FCI kennel clubs of all European countries write a letter to the EU requires a different decision from that rule. The second week of September, the EU comes together again to talk about the rule. Each country is encouraged to write a letter to the EU to raise objections to the new regulations. The Secretary indicates that in the previous selections she have indicated that this would be her last term and that she presents herself not to be re-elected.
Treasurer’s report:
The Treasurer is not present. The books are not verified. Christian Langer Switzerland and Roderick Glastra Netherlands are going to check the books. This agreement was accepted by the Assembly. The board is not yet exempted. This is only possible if the books are checked and everything is ok.
Sports Director’s report:
Mr. Koelzow thanked the Organizer’s of Oberwiesenthal for organizing the biggest Championships of the last years with 207 sprint mushers and 38 distance musher of 9 different nations.He said, in fact there was some problems with the space for such a mass of starters but at least all in all it was a well organized championship. The Fairness award was given to the German Musher Nino Bauer for helping another Musher on the Trail. For the next Year’s the most important points to discuss he said, are:

The Modell of Start-Contingent for WSA Member Country’s
The Modell for Eurocup
To get more Distance-Muhers

Topic 5
Elections of the board for 2010 – 2013 After the question of secretary who want to be elected as Chairman, Arno Streichler take place and introduce himself as well as criticise the momentual situation of the WSA. He also read the list which persons he thinks who should be voted for several board positions and that he only would like one of the old board members in the new board which is Jacek Wlodarzyk. After hearing all Persons on the list from Arno Streichler introducing them selves, Michelle Menger told that Elio Ronconi presents himself to be re-elected. After Christian Langer as a guest was decided to control votes during the break, the voting starts The new elected Board is Chairman Arno Steichler Germany 3 no, 18 yes 1 abstention Vize-Chair Sandra Makkreel Netherlands 8 no, 14 yes 0 abstention WSA GA 2010 3 Treasurer Cindy van de Brink Netherlands 13 to Ellio Ronconi Zwitsterland 9 Secretary Manuela Petutschnig Austria 20 yes, 2 no 0 abstention Director Sports Markus Wehner 21 yes, 1 no 0 abstention

Topic 6
Appointment of Technical Directors Sprint director Jacek Wlodarczyk Distance director Arno Steichler Public-Relations -Director blanc Veterinarian / anti-doping Dr. Karsten Hesse Controller Christian Langer (2 years) Roderick Glastra (1 year) Race judge-comitee Markus Wehner, Christian Langer, Roderick Glastra

Topic 7
New membership applications In South Africa there are several clubs which wants to be a member of the WSA and the current South African team would be sleeping. Michelle Menger says that she will send all available data on this subject to the new board.. The Hungarian club disappeared and Michelle Menger told that she also will send all her existing data to the new board.

Topic 8
Questions from the members and Motions. Netherlands began to read the submitted items. Once Austria indicates that they didn’t received the agenda and no point it was decided that the new items can’t be voted on.

Topic 9
Can ‘t be voted as Topic 8 All present addresses of members was written down and will be checked by the new secretary, so that next time all the necessary documents with the statutes will be received by the members and topic 8 and 9 will be vote at the special GA in November.

Topic 10
WSA Eurocup 2010 There is no Eurocup this year because to few countries presents there races to the sport director. The new sporting director will be asked to write to various organizations for their race to sign up for the Eurocup and find a new model for the Eurocup next year.

Topic 11
Events scheduled for 2011 season A letter was read by the Italian delegates about the European Championships in Campo de Felice, furthermore all delegates received a demo DVD. The agreement between the WSA and Antarctica the Organizer of Campo de Felice had to be signed, the blank copy (already signed by the former president) was given to the new President. After checking the agreement the new board find many WSA GA 2010 4 irregularities and decided that the contract will be rewritten and signature will take place one week later. European Championship Middle Distance. There is an old debate within the board during the GA in February 2010 Norway was adopted or not.. It is assumed that no vote was taken. The new chairman will contact the IFSS about opportunities in Norway. Sweden reported that their is also a opportunity to run Middle Distance Championship in Sweden at the Swedish Championship. After checking the opportunities by new Chairman this will be voted at the special GA in November 2010.

Topic 12
Application for future championships Michelle Menger told that 2012 France sign in for sprint and distance WM It will be organized by the FSST in Les Fourgs 1 week before or 1 week after the IFSS championship. 2013 has not been reported.

Topic 13
Miscellaneous There is a question about who maintains the website. This was done by the previous treasurer Ellio Ronconi from Switzerland. The new board is looking at a redefinition of the site. In November 2010 a special General Assembly will be held. The new board is working hard to ensure that everything will be settled according to law.
End of meeting at 16.00.

Minutes: Manuela Petutschnig-Gruber, Secretary WSA

Signed: Arno Steichler, Chairman WSA