• WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS LONGTRAIL
    Särna - Sweden 07.- 10.03.2017
  • European Championships SNOW
    Inzell - Germany 02.- 05.02.2017
  • European Dryland Championships
    Lauf - Germany 11.- 13.11.2016
  • 20th Anniversary World Sleddog Association
    1995 - 2015
  • World Championships Sprint/MD
    Scharnitz - Austria 2015
  • World Championships Sprint/MD
    Kandersteg - Switzerland 2014

WSA General Assembly
Hotel Tränkbachtal / Frauenwald, Germany / 19th September 2015

Opening of the General Assembly at 10.15am (the meeting was held in German and translated into English by Irene Valenkamp)

 

Topic 1

WSA Chairman welcomes members and guests. Chairman’s report of the previous year followed by reports of the other Board Members

The Chairman Arno Steichler welcomes delegates and guests. He explains the running order of the GA which includes a press conference for which he will need to interrupt the GA for half an hour. During this time Manuela Petutschnig will introduce urgent proposals that have been submitted after the agenda was issued. These will also be available to review.

The Chairman thanks the organizers of the 2015 Jubilee World Championships Mr Arnold Petutschnig and the team of RSSC Austria. Arno Steichler points to the large number of starters at the last World Championships and expresses his satisfaction with the continuous growth of the organization. He also touches on the fact that in future national quotas will have to be reduced to allow for further growth, something that will be discussed in more detail in topic 14.

He goes on to briefly touch on the activities of the other Board Members and mentions that he would like to discuss the introduction of a WSA Working Group to resolve among other items the national quota and the Eurocup issues. Furthermore, he would like to discuss the introduction of Dryland championships.

Then Arno Steichler asks everyone present to a minute's silence for Massimo Martini.

Topic 2

Acceptance of invitation and agenda as per WSA statutes

The agenda was adopted unanimously.

Topic 3

  • Counting of delegates and votes (See separate list of delegates and votes – Annex 1)

 

Cindy van den Brink and Manuela Petutschnig-Gruber check and update the attendance list, which has been drafted prior to the GA. They establish the following number of votes:

Delegates: 18 delegates with 21 votes (from topic 7 onwards - 2 votes for Norway)

Board: 9 Board Members with 11 votes

Club

Country

Name of delegate

Number of votes

VDSV

Germany

Marcel Kreuzig

1

VDSV

Germany

Ulrich Kuhn

1

VDSV

Germany

Anke Schiller

1

VDSV

Germany

Sonja Merbach

1

Concord

Russia

Elena Shepeleva sen.

1

Concord

Russia

Elena Shepeleva jr

1

DSO

Netherlands

Cindy Van den Brink

1

MBEL

Belgium

Rudiger de Pauw

1

MBEL

Belgium

Dasseville Xavier

1

SSV

Switzerland

Robert Schiesser

2

MCS

Switzerland

Guido Weilenmann

2

SDAS

Scotland

Mary Carter

1

SDAS

Scotland

John Carter

1

PASS

Poland

Mikołaj Waskowski

1

PASS

Poland

Mirek Waskowski

1

BMC

Czech Rep.

Stepan Krkoska

1

RSSC

Austria

Arnold Petutschnig

2

AMWA

England

Irene Valenkamp

1

WSA

Germany

Arno Steichler (Laurent Berge)

2

WSA

Germany

Michael Landau

1

WSA

Germany

Rolf Münch

1

WSA

Netherlands

Cindy Van den Brink

1

WSA

Austria

Manuela Petutschnig-Gruber

1

WSA

Poland

Jacek Włodarczyk

1

WSA

Austria

Christian Helm

1

WSA

Germany

Dr. Karsten Hesse

1

WSA

Germany

Christof Diehl (Teunis Bos)

2

 

 

TOTAL

32

 

A total number of 32 votes is established until topic 6. Should a country be granted membership and have a representation at the GA, their delegates will be able to vote from topic 7 onwards (this applies to Norway, which means the number of votes will increase to 34).

Topic 4

Report of the Treasurer and the Financial Auditors - discharge of Board

 

Addition – Discharge of the Financial Controllers followed by election of two new Financial Controllers for a period of 2 years in accordance with the Statutes §20/2

 

Cindy van den Brink reports on the previous financial year which ended with a loss of 304.49 euros. The bank account is in credit with a balance of 8,985.61 euros and thus as in previous years, balanced books can be presented to the GA. According to Cindy van den Brink, the small loss is incurred due to a combination of additional travel expenses to the IFSS Dryland Championships and Askino/ Slovakia not paying their membership fees.

 

The Financial Controllers Irene Valenkamp / Great Britain and Elena Shepeleva / Russia are both present at the meeting. Irene Valenkamp reports that all receipts have been checked and appear to be in order and the bank account balance is correct. Furthermore, the Financial Controllers commend the exemplary book keeping and propose to discharge the Treasurer and the Board.

 

The Swiss delegate requests that going forward the financial statement will be made available with the agenda ahead of time. This is endorsed by the Assembly and subsequently the Board and the Financial Controllers are being discharged unanimously.

As there are no new nominations for the role of Financial Controller, the President proposes to elect Irene Valenkamp and Elena Shepeleva for a further period. They agree and are being re-elected unanimously

Topic 5

Askino Slovakia and SAFFS South Africa will become inactive members

Arno Steichler reports that for several years the member clubs Askino Slovakia und SAFFS South Africa have been in arrears with their membership dues. Both clubs don’t respond to emails and are inactive to the best of his knowledge. The President proposes to vote on whether to expel them following a final written request to pay their outstanding dues within 4 weeks. The proposal is adopted by a majority.

Topic 6

Membership applications of Norway, Estonia, Belarus, Ukraine and Ireland (single membership David Lynch)

Addition at the GA – Urgent applications of Finland and Serbia

 

The Chairman reports that from the following countries have submitted complete membership applications: Norway, Ukraine, Estonia, Belarus and Ireland (single membership David Lynch). Finland and Serbia have submitted incomplete applications with missing documents to follow.
The following applications are approved by a majority:

Norway (full member)

Ukraine (full member)

Estonia (full member)

Belarus (full member)

Ireland - David Lynch (single membership)


The Assembly decides that following receipt of the complete documentation Serbia and Finland can be granted temporary membership by the Board. This will enable competitors from these countries to start at the World Championships. The Assembly will vote on a full membership of these countries at the next GA. This proposal is agreed by a majority.

Addition 1: Finland withdrew its application on 22 September 2015

Addition 2: Serbia has supplied the complete documentation and has been granted temporary member status until the GA in 2016

Topic 7

Official appointment of Justyna Janecka from Poland as an International Race Judge. She has met all requirements and should be added to the judges list and website

The Chairman reports that Justyna Janecka has met all conditions. From personal experience he can say that she completed her tasks exemplary while working alongside him in the start area during the last World Championships. He proposes that she is being appointed as an International Race Judge, which is approved unanimously. The Director Public Relations will create a profile and an email address for her on the website.

Topic 8

Championship contract – a clause should be added to state that a rescue snow mobile for dogs and mushers has to be available in the start/finish area for the duration of the event. Equally, a tent should be at the disposal of the vet team in the start/finish area

In the spirit of „learning by doing“ the Chairman states that the above is proven to be very useful. Therefore, it is already part of the draft contract with Frauenwald and has been acknowledged as such by the organizers. He requests formal confirmation of this proposal, which is being approved unanimously.


Topic 9

A paragraph needs to be added to the prologue of the Race Rules stating that only original FCI paperwork is being accepted

Following legitimate objections of some members, it’s being agreed unanimously to add the following sentence to the Race Rules: Only original versions of FCI compliant documents (no photocopies) will be accepted.

Topic 10

A paragraph needs to be added to the championship contract stating that a telephone list of all team leaders has to be drawn up. All member associations have to provide the WSA with the email address and the telephone number of their team leader at least one month prior to a championship

The Assembly decides to change the wording to the following: A list with telephone numbers of all team leaders has to be created. For this purpose all member clubs of the WSA must no later than one month prior to a championship provide the phone number and email address of their team leader to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. upon receipt of which they will receive their login details for the championship. This proposal is adopted by a majority.

Topic 11

A pool rule for Mid-Distance should be added to the Race Rules

DL 3-6 dogs from a pool of 7 dogs & DU 7-14 dogs from a pool of 14 dogs

Following a discussion of the pros and cons of this topic, a majority votes in favour of the introduction of a pool rule. The exact wording will be determined by the previously announced WSA Working Group.

Topic 12

Starting order at championships

Following a short overview by the President of the starting order previously in place, the proposed new starting order in which the Mid-Distance teams will start after the Sprint classes is approved by a majority. The order in which the classes within Sprint and Mid-Distance start remains at the discretion of the race organizers.


Topic 13

The behaviour of Sebastian Astelbauer during the championship in Scharnitz. He was disqualified because he used tape to change his race number: I love FISTC, WSA was crossed out, etc, because he disagreed with a decision of the race judges

The Chairman proposes to proceed in the same way as in a similar case two years ago. At the time, a warning was issued and the musher was told that a repeat offence would result in a temporary ban. The proposed warning is adopted by a majority.

Topic 14

Limitation of the number of competitors at championships in Sprint/ MD to 250 (200/50) and for Frauenwald to 200 (160/40)

After a lengthy discussion and following a proposal of one of the delegates the Assembly votes on whether the quotas for the 2016 World Championships should be derived by deducting a percentage from the currently valid quotas that are published in the Annex to the Race Rules. This will enable members to get an understanding of what is required. This proposal is adopted by a majority. The following list with Sprint quotas was then printed and distributed:

Given the many open questions and in order to shorten the debate, the President proposes that this topic too should be passed for further debate to the WSA Working Group. The Group will be tasked to find a fair solution. In the meantime it is agreed that all members will be contacted and asked how many competitors they would like to send to Frauenwald and how many places they would be willing to forgo. The result of this enquiry will then determine the final quotas. The proposal is adopted by a majority.

Topic 15

Proposals from Member countries / Board Members

Annex 2 Proposals Netherlands



All proposals from the Netherlands are withdrawn by Cindy van den Brink, the representative of the Dutch association because they either overlap with other topics or have been dealt with already.


Annex 3 Proposals Austria


Proposals 1 and 2 are also withdrawn by Arnold Petutschnig, the representative of RSSC Austria. Proposal 3 is put to the vote and is adopted unanimously.


Annex 4 Proposal Switzerland




The Swiss proposal is adopted by a majority and will form the basis for a veterinary guideline that will be drafted by the WSA Working Group.


Topic 16

Applications for the Championships in 2017 and 2018 and applications for Eurocup Races in 2015/16

  • Norway 2017

Norway’s bid for the 2017 championships is adopted by a majority. However, it is noted that Sprint and Mid-Distance need to take place on the same date. Furthermore, Norway has been asked to provide early on and in writing details of the requirements that dogs have to meet in order to be able to travel to Norway.

  • Todtmoos / Germany 2018

Arno Steichler reports that Todtmoos is interested in putting together a bid for the World Championships 2018. Also, Pian Cansiglio in Italy has shown an interest. Until formal bids have been received no decision will be taken.

Applications received so far for Eurocup Races 2015/16

  • Inzell
  • Zuberec
  • Todtmoos
  • Langtaufers
  • Pian Cansiglio

All of the above races are confirmed unanimously. As the WSA Working Group will review the Eurocup rules, it is decided that the deadline for potential further candidates to come forward will be extended

Topic 17

Any other business, future changes and items for the agenda of the next GA

  • Board elections due next year; with prior statute change to reduce number of Board Members

The President explains that previously, he was in favour of a reduction of the number of Board Members. However, because of the increase in the membership and the number of competitors, a loss of professionalism due to reduced resources, and the increase in scope through topics such as the introduction of Dryland championships, he has now changed his mind. He shares his delight that at the Board meeting all Board Members agreed to stand for a further period, testament to how well the team works together.

  • Eurocup model for Sprint and Mid-Distance

As previously mentioned this will be discussed by the WSA Working Group.

  • ONS point system versus Norway point system

A large majority comes out in favour of using Norway points to assess races.

  • Quotas for Member countries

As decided as part of the discussion about Topic 14, the WSA Working Group will not only come up with a proposal for Frauenwald but will also present the 2016 GA with a general proposal for the distribution of quotas.

  • Qualification through Eurocup

The Assembly passes this too to the WSA Working Group as part of the broader Eurocup debate with a view to vote on a proposal at the next GA.

  • Setting up working parties for Eurocup and quotas

As previously mentioned, the President proposes the formation of a WSA Working Group. It is proposed that the Working Group consists of:

  1. 5 Board Members
  2. 5 Member representatives
  3. Supported by – without voting rights –

Chairman Arno Steichler and Vice-Chairman Laurent Berge

The Assembly proposes the following candidates:

  1. Manuela Petutschnig-Gruber, Cindy van den Brink, Christoph Diehl,

Jacek Wlodarzcyk and Michael Landau as Board representatives

  1. Elena Shepeleva, Line Löw, Robert Schiesser, Arnold Petutschnig and Rudiger de Pauw as Member representatives

The above candidates are being elected unanimously and will start work immediately on the topics covered in the minutes of the GA.

  • Email addresses to cancel or change categories at championships

In order to facilitate the coordination, the WSA will set up email addresses for all members. These will be used exclusively to change classes and withdraw competitors. This proposal is adopted by a majority.


Topics that were added as Urgent Proposals and that were available for review during the press conference

  • Introduction of a WSA email address for all countries to facilitate communication (Chris Helm, Manuela Petutschnig-Gruber)

All Members receive login details that enable them to access their WSA email address. From here they can also set up forwarding to their personal email addresses. Members that aren’t represented at the GA will receive their login details via email from the Director Public Relations.

  • Set-up of a WSA Shop from where WSA branded merchandise as well as souvenirs of the various championships can be ordered (Christian Helm, Arno Steichler)

The set-up of such a shop by the Director Public Relations is adopted by a majority.

  • Introduction of Dryland Championships and preparation of Dryland Rules (Arno Steichler)

The introduction of Dryland Championship is supported by a large majority and work on the preparation of Dryland Rules will commence imminently.

Levy of a fee to support the veterinary care at championships and penalties for organizers that don’t comply. Both measures are designed to improve the quality of the veterinary care

The proposal is adopted by a large majority. The Treasurer Cindy van den Brink will levy the fee.

  • Urgent proposal VDSV – Support for Ethics Code

 

 

 

 

The above addendum has been added by the WSA and was not part of the original proposal.

The Ethics Code is adopted by an absolute majority. All members are to adopt this policy and it should add to its invitations to events.

  • Urgent proposal Christoph Diehl and Michael Landau

Proposals 1 and 2 are withdrawn as the WSA Working Group has been tasked with them. Proposal 3 is presented and adopted by a large majority. Christoph Diehl will coordinate this initiative and is available for questions.

 

Finally, the programme for Frauenwald is being presented as it currently stands. The GA is closed at 5.20pm.

Minutes: Manuela Petutschnig-Gruber, Secretary WSA

Signed: Arno Steichler, Chairman WSA